Pokemon Sword / Shield's Wild Pokemon Encounters Work A Bit Differently
The June 5 Pokemon Direct showed off a new trailer and more details for Pokemon Sword and Shield. One of those new details was a bit unclear; the trailer and subsequent clips showed Pokemon roaming the overworld, similar to Let’s Go Pikachu and Eevee, but we also saw a random-style encounter in the tall grass. So are there random encounters or not?
From what we can tell so far, it seems like random encounters are mostly, if not totally, gone. The Direct showed a variety of Pokemon roaming the overworld, much like in the Let’s Go games. You encounter these wild Pokemon in something called the Wild Area, which refers to the expanse of nature between cities; in the Wild Area, you’ll encounter different Pokemon based on your specific location and the weather. You initiate battles with these Pokemon by running into them, though some will chase you down once they spot you.
Click To Unmute Pokemon Sword And Pokemon Shield – Official Reveal Trailer
- Pokemon 2019 Press Conference: Detective Pikachu, Pokemon Sleep, And More – GS News Update.
- Pokemon Sword And Shield – All New Pokemon And Gameplay Revealed – Pokemon Direct
- Top New Games Out On Switch, PS4, Xbox One, And PC This Month — June 2019
- PS5: More Cross-Gen, Backwards Compatibility Details And 120Hz Support Revealed – GS News Update
- Watch Dogs 3 Reportedly Leaked, Features London And Multiple Characters – GS News Update
- Pokemon Sword & Shield Release Date, Legendaries, And More Revealed – GS News Update
- E3 2019 Gameplay Demos, Interviews and Special Guests – GameSpot Stage Show Day 1
- E3 2019 Exclusive Gameplay Demos, Interviews and Special Guests – GameSpot Stage Show Day 2
- E3 2019 Exclusive Gameplay Demos, Interviews and Special Guests – GameSpot Stage Show Day 3
- Nintendo Direct E3 2019 Press Conference And Treehouse Live
- Microsoft Xbox And Bethesda E3 2019 Press Conferences Plus Recaps, Gameplay, And More
- Ubisoft And Square Enix E3 2019 Press Conferences Plus Recaps, Gameplay, And More
Want us to remember this setting for all your devices?
Sign up or Sign in now!
Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos. This video has an invalid file format. 00:00:00
Sorry, but you can’t access this content!
Please enter your date of birth to view this video
By clicking ‘enter’, you agree to GameSpot's
The Direct also showed a more typical wild Pokemon encounter in the tall grass. As it turns out, you have some control over these encounters as well. A small exclamation point will appear in the grass, indicating that a Pokemon is there, and then you can initiate the battle by running into it–just like with the Pokemon that physically appear in the overworld. It’s unclear if there are any occasions where Pokemon will attack you totally at random and as a surprise, but it seems like that’s unlikely. We’ve reached out for clarification and will update this story once we hear more.
For more news from the Pokemon Direct, see our explanation of the new Dynamax mechanic and all the new Galar Pokemon. Pokemon Sword and Shield are set to release on November 15; you can learn more about that in our pre-order guide.
Source: Read Full Article